Author Topic: Terrain download from world browser stuck  (Read 1883 times)

straaljager

Hello,

the world browser is a great addition, however it doesn't seem to be working on my side (it worked only once on a relatively small terrain of about 2x2 km). I'm trying to download the Mt Everest and convert it into 3D terrain, but the status bar remains frozen on "Connecting to the server... " forever. I tried on a laptop and a desktop, same issue on both. Any tips on how to resolve this?

Alexis Vaisse

• Administrator
Hi,

It's hard to say what the problem could be.
We tested the World Browser with a number of different computers, desktop, laptop, Windows 10, Windows 7, and never had this kind of problem.

It could be a firewall or an antivirus software issue.
You can check your firewall configuration and your antivirus software settings.

Can you try with different Internet connections? LAN, WiFi, 4G?

If you open the task manager and look at the network performance, is there anything odd with the bandwidth when you navigate in the World Browser and when you start downloading the data?

Other question: did you try to download different locations in the world map? Some regions can't be downloaded (for instance Antarctic or seas), but in this case, you should receive a error message "No data to download has been found for this region". Anyway Mount Everest can be downloaded with no problem.

Alexis Vaisse

• Administrator
Update: it seems that there is one case where the download never finishes: it's when the region to download is too small (less than 0.25 km x 0.25 km).
In this case, the progress bar never starts, and if you cancel the download, subsequent downloads will also fail, even if the region to download is large enough.
Closing Instant Terra and starting it again fixes the problem.
We'll fix this problem in a next release.

straaljager

Hi Alexis,

Thanks for your reply. I closed and relaunched Instant Terra and now it worked for a small terrain chunk containing Mt Everest. However, attempting to download the entire Himalayas (roughly 2000km x 800 km) still doesn't work. Is there a size limit on the terrain you can download?

Alexis Vaisse

• Administrator
You can download a 2000 km x 800 km region, but only with a "Coarse" resolution and not a "Precise" resolution.
With a "Coarse" resolution, the size of the downloaded file will be something like 22,000 x 8,000 pixels so you will need Instant Terra Unlimited or Instant Terra Pro to be able to import it, as Instant Terra is limited to 8,192 x 8,192 terrains.

The maximum size that can be downloaded when resolution = "Precise" seems to be 450,000 km², which is below the size of your region (1,600,000 km²).
(And again, when the download fails, it's necessary to close and restart Instant Terra to be able to download other regions).

We will disable the "Precise" resolution when the region to download is too large.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

straaljager

ok, I'm starting to understand it. It seems to work now (as long as stay within the limits). Thanks!