Author Topic: Export to File issues  (Read 2215 times)

puckducker

I've been having some inconsistent results while trying to export my terrains to a heightfield.

Usually it will export in seconds, no issues. However, frequently the exporter will just hang somewhere on the "compute" cycle. I've let it try to complete over night (13+ hours), but by morning the exporter was still stuck in the same spot.

This can happen on the exact same graph that exported successfully in seconds the time before, no edits between exports.

I've had some success by forcing the export resolution to be lower by adding a transform node just before the export. So bumping down to a 2k or 4k terrain, it again exports in seconds. But at 8K it's very hit and miss whether it exports or not.

Alexis Vaisse

• Administrator
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

We have just tested on our side, and we have found that there is a problem when the graph contains an erosion node.
Do you use the erosion node in your graph?
The export may hang if you export while the erosion simulation is still running.

A possible workaround is to select the erosion node and wait until the erosion is totally finished before exporting the terrain.

We will fix this issue in a future release.

Sorry for this, and thanks again for reporting the issue.

puckducker

I don't have an erosion node in my graph, no. Actually I found using the erosion node (as you suggested, just allowing it to process each patch for the entire terrain) fixed the issue.

What I believe the problem is is the exporter is having troubles loading in the full resolution of the input heightfeild files I have in the graph, if that heightfield wasn't already loaded in at full resolution (say by zooming the camera in close in the viewport).

I tested this with a single heightfeild in my graph, with the camera zoomed far out so only a low-res version is displayed. Exporter hung up and wouldn't export (at least, waiting 5 minutes). But when i zoomed the viewport camera in, and then tried exporting, the file was exported successfully in seconds.

So I tried then plugging an erosion node onto the end of my graph and allowing the node to process every patch of the terrain, and then exporting the terrain. Exported fine in just a few seconds.

Alexis Vaisse

• Administrator
OK. Actually the problem was wider than what we thought initially.
Indeed the exporter could hang if some patches of the terrain were not processed.

And it was easier to see the problem with the erosion node because it's the longest node to process.

We have done a fix and released a new version (v.1.0.5).
You can download it here: https://www.wysilab.com/GetVersion_Download.php?action=DownloadAction (you don't need to update your license).

Please let us know if it fixes your issue.

Thanks a lot.

puckducker

Yep, that looks to have fixed it. Took a minute (for 8K) but I could tell on the exporter status that was moving forward rather than just getting stuck.

Thanks for the quick update